A night in the museum celebrates the Brooklyn Museum's new exhibition, Soulful Creatures: Animal Mummies in Ancient Egypt, with an evening of lighthearted art history lectures by leading experts.
Though we all know that Egypt is home to King Tut and his mummified cronies, one of the most fascinating aspects of ancient Egyptian culture and religion is often overlooked—the mummification of animals. This event and exhibit invites the audience to investigate the provocative theories proposed to explain the practice, the lengthy ritualistic processes, and the recent scientific tests that have uncovered new information about these cuddly coffers.
In this special Art History Happy Hour at The Brooklyn Museum, the exhibition's curators, Ed Blieberg and Yekaterina Barbash, will enrapture the audience with secrets of the animal sarcophaguses, as well as the complexities of conservation. Special guest lecturer Salima Ikram, a leader in Egyptological research, will share a special look at Egyptian mummies.
In true Art History Happy Hour spirit, accompanying your embalming edification will be a drink, included in the price of your ticket. Throughout the night, you'll enter for the chance to win fabulous prizes from your hosts. And following the evening's discussions, guests will be given a voucher to return to the museum in the daytime to visit the exhibition, armed with new knowledge.
- Ticket cost includes 1 beer or wine drink, as well as a voucher for admission into the exhibition that can be redeemed starting 9/29.
- 21+. Please bring I.D. for admission.
- A cash beer-and-wine bar will also be available throughout the evening.
- The event takes place in the Martha A. and Robert S. Rubin Pavilion on the 1st Floor.
- Seating in the pavilion is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis.
BROOKLYN MUSEUM MEMBERS
- Members receive 10% percent off. To receive the Member code, please email us at [email protected] with your full name and Membership ID.
- Not a Member? Join today!
Email [email protected]
Stay connected! Subscribe to Atlas Obscura's New York Obscura Society newsletter
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.