Hidden behind a great stone wall overlooking the Hudson River resides a masterpiece. Statues of sphinxes tower from beyond the wall, crumbling tiles line what was once an elaborate mosaic pool, and 2,000-year-old imported Roman columns frame a dramatic view of the Palisades. After decades of neglect, Untermyer Park has been brought back to life and the gardens gradually restored to their former glory. Since the 2011 founding of the Untermyer Gardens Conservancy, the grounds have seen a remarkable transformation.
On Saturday, June 10th, join Atlas Obscura and the Untermyer Gardens Conservancy for The Great Forgotten Garden Party. In this extravagant evening filled with exploration and performance, you'll enter a hidden world of wonder and beauty inspired by the gardens' architecture, design, history, and lore.
Strolling into the evening, you'll find yourself transported to the golden years of the Greystone Estate, when Mrs. Minnie Untermyer hosted some of the greatest artists and performers of the early 20th century and civic leader Samuel Untermyer roamed the festive property with a white orchid in his lapel.
At dusk, more stories will be revealed. When Untermyer passed in 1940, the daunting cost of upkeep left his former gardens unmaintained, eventually falling into ruin. Victim to vandalism and overgrowth, by the mid-1970s Untermyer Park had gained a dark reputation as a gathering place for occult activities. The night invokes the past in this garden oasis as we unveil a world of music and dance where ancient mythology and modern legends entwine.
- Festive attire is encouraged, as is sensible footwear for wandering down uneven forest pathways.
- A cash bar for beer, wine, and other libations will be provided by Yonkers Brewing.
- Enjoy the gardens of Untermyer with a picnic supper provided by Perfect Picnic! Choose the "picnic" option with your ticket to pre-order a picnic spread for two that includes local cheeses, cured meats, a baguette, olives, and more. You'll pick up your picnic beyond the gates and be able to enjoy your meal laid out in the beautiful gardens. Individually-sold snacks will also be available at the event.
- Floral crowns and boutonnieres crafted by Zuzu's Petals are available for pre-order and pick up at the event!
- Take the MetroNorth to Yonkers Station. Complimentary shuttle bus service will be provided between Yonkers Brewery (next to the Yonkers Station) and Untermyer Park throughout the evening.
- Roundtrip charter bus travel between Midtown and Untermyer Park will also be available, as an add-on option to your entrance ticket. The bus will meet at 3:30pm at Penn Station, by the green awning, at 31st St. Between: 7th & 8th Aves.
Email [email protected].
Stay connected! Subscribe to Atlas Obscura's New York Obscura Society newsletter
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.