Across the street from a strip mall sits Aspin Hill Memorial Park, the final resting place for 55,000 pets. Alongside several of them, as many as 30 people share burial plots with their furry friends.
In operation since 1921, Aspin Hill is believed to be the second-oldest pet cemetery in the nation. The eight-acre poignant memorial park is dotted with concrete busts of dogs, black-and-white ceramic cats, photos, and heartfelt inscriptions. Among those sleeping eternally in this tranquil suburban park are pals to politicos, a movie star, and a war hero.
Accompany us as we tour this 95-year-old cemetery learning about its history and all the cats, dogs, birds, and horses who are buried here. Our journey will be lead by Cris Bombaugh, president of the Montgomery County Humane Society.
In operation since 1958, the Montgomery County Humane Society is a non-profit organization who provides locally-focused animal welfare services. Their mission is to end animal homelessness in our community and to support pets and their owners. They also look after the cemetery.
At the end of the tour, everyone will receive a special Halloween treat for their furry loved ones.
- Part of the proceeds of this event will be donated to the Montgomery County Humane Society.
- The entire event will be outside and there will be a considerable amount of walking over sometimes-rough terrain. Please wear proper shoes and bring water.
- While parking is available in the small lot in front of the cemetery, it is limited. Please try to carpool and/or find street parking in the nearby neighborhoods.
- Public transportation is an option. The cemetery is about two miles from the Glenmont Metro station on the red line, but the Y-2 bus regularly departs from the station and drops off next door to Aspin Hill Memorial.
- This is a cemetery, so please act accordingly respectful.
Contact Matt at [email protected].
Add wonder to your inbox! Sign up for Atlas Obscura newsletters to discover unexpected stories, amazing places, and remarkable events and trips around the world.
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.