Australia is home to more than just a couple of big things. The Big Avocado is only one of a loosely related set of about 150 sculptures and large structures sprinkled across the country. Most of these, the Big Avocado included, serve as the country's top tourist traps and can be found along major roads and highways or between some of the major travel destinations.
Located in Duranbah in New South Wales, the Big Avocado is a landmark of Tropical Fruit World. It had somehow developed a cult following, perhaps because it's not just one of Australia's dozens of giant fruits, but a giant version of a rather obscure fruit. The avocado? The massive fruit is standing just within the border of Queensland
The avocado doesn't have the same size as some of the country's other giant sculptures, but it is worth a visit, if tourism sites are to be believed. They recommend visiting Duranbah's Tropical Fruit World (formerly known as Avocado Adventureland, hence the construction of the massive statue in the first place). Duranbah's is popular because of its avocado orchards, which can be toured by visitors, and its avocado ice cream and milkshakes.
Know Before You Go
The park is south from the Gold Coast Airport. For 10 minutes, drive on the Pacific Highway, then turn to the Murwillumbah Exit 40. From there, just follow the sign towards the entrance of the park.
- Wikipedia: Australia's Big Things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%27s_big_things
- Wikipedia: Byron Bay, New South Wales: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Bay,_New_South_Wales
- Australia's Big Attractions: Our Big Country: http://www.holidayoz.com.au/big-attractions.htm
- Sharing Travel Experience: "Photo Essay: 10 Really Big Fruits in Australia" (April 2011): http://www.sharingtravelexperiences.com/photo-essay-10-really-big-fruits-in-australia/
- Tourism New South Wales: Fact Sheet: Big Avocado: http://www.tourism.nsw.gov.au/media/fact022.html