The Brooklyn trolley cars went out of service in 1948, but they're still remembered both inside and outside of the city. The Brooklyn Historic Railway Association once owned 16 trolleys throughout this borough, and decided, after a contentious struggle with bureaucrats to put some out on display in Red Hook, Brooklyn, where they are beloved by residents and tourists alike.
The Brooklyn Historic Railway Association (BHRA) maintains a shop, trolley barn, and offices in the area, and was established in 1980 to oversee the restoration of the Atlantic Avenue Tunnel (the world's oldest subway tunnel) and Brooklyn's old trolley routes, a project that was killed when the New York City Department of Transportation (DOT) pulled its support.
In mid-2003, the BHRA was ordered by the DOT to fill in all of the trolley tracks on public streets and officially revoked its consent for a restoration project to proceed or exist on any city streets. Most of the trolleys were removed from Brooklyn by the organization; the only ones that remain are these four on the Beard Street Pier. Plans call to move the trolleys to the Atlantic Avenue Tunnel when it makes sense.
The Brooklyn Dodgers took their name from the trolley cars because fans of the team often had to dodge the cars in order to make it over to Ebbets Field.