The Peter Iredale was a four-masted steel barque sailing vessel that ran ashore October 25, 1906, on the Oregon coast en route to the Columbia River.
It was abandoned on Clatsop Spit near Fort Stevens in Warrenton about four miles (6 km) south of the Columbia River channel. The wreckage is still visible, making it a popular tourist attraction as one of the most accessible shipwrecks of the Graveyard of the Pacific. No one was able to remove the boat, so it just stayed there. Over the last 101 years it has slowly deteriorated.
One can still see a very large piece of the ship and during low tide one can walk right up to it.
Know Before You Go
From Warrenton proper, take SW 9th Street West and turn north on NW Ridge Road. Turn left/west onto Peter Iredale Road, and follow it all the way to the beach, where there is ample parking all of 200 yards from the wreck.
- Wikipedia: Peter Iredale: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Iredale