A series of distinctive landmarks that were erected on historic U.S. Route 66 to house tourists who were making their way between Los Angeles and Chicago, the end points of the highway, the Wigwam Motels (or Wigwam Villages) were patented by Frank A. Redford. Though they're not much more than large teepees, the U.S. Patent Office decided that Redford's application was original enough and earned a distinction in February 1936. The original patent drawings clearly show giant swastikas painted above each of four prominent doorways on the wigwams.
Seven wigwam villages were built between 1936 and the 1950s, but only a couple of them still survive. Wigwam Motel #2, in Cave City, Kentucky, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in March 1988; it is one of the few to survive. Built in 1937, #2 consisted of 15 wigwams used as guestrooms and a much larger concrete and steel central structure that originally served as a restaurant. Each wigwam has a paved area for one car and, all together, they encircle a recreation and playground area.
Each wigwam in Cave City has a base diameter of 14 feet and stands 32 feet tall. The majority of the space is taken up by one large main room, behind which sites a small bathroom complete with sink, toilet, and shower. In 2008, all of the wigwams were restored with hickory furniture, an air conditioning unit, and cable TV. While the restaurant has since closed down - not enough potential customers using the old Route 69 anymore - the motel still operates and is open for visitors.
The wigwams of Cave City has been parodied in the Pixar film Cars with a traffic-cone motel and in the Rockstar game GTA San Andreas under the name "Tee Pee Motel."