Step inside the private headquarters of the Explorers Club for an evening of awe-inspiring documentation, as we explore the beauty and artifice of historical nature and exploration films, curated by Atlas Obscura co-founder Dylan Thuras.
Settle in for an evening of amazement as you view 10 archival films, ranging from the surprising to the strange. We'll see how even the earliest nature and exploration films were true mixes of art and science and total creations of artifice.
Film selections will include:
- an incredible assemblage of British Pathe exploration films
- Ring of Fire by Lorne and Lawrence Blair
- The Green Porno of Isabella Rossalini
- Stan Brakhage's view of the arctic
- The Microscopic Wonders of Percy Smith
- early clips of David Attenborough
- the infamous nature documentary Cane Toads
- and more....
The evening is set inside the astounding collection of natural artifacts that line the walls of the esteemed establishment. Founded in 1904 to promote and celebrate the scientific exploration of land, sea, air and space, the Explorers Club has an undeniably impressive list of members. The first man to reach the North Pole, the South Pole, the summit of Mount Everest, the bottom of the ocean, and even the moon: all have belonged to the Explorers Club.
Your hosts for the evening are Dylan Thuras and Ella Morton, authors of Atlas Obscura's very first book, Atlas Obscura: An Explorer’s Guide to the World’s Hidden Wonders. Dylan and Ella will provide color commentary and reveal some hidden wonders from the book.
The evening is topped off with a complimentary open bar and a pre-release gift of both Atlas Obscura's new Wall Calendar and the new Atlas Obscura Explorer Notebook, before they are made available to the public. Following the screening will be a cocktail hour where you can chat with your hosts; docents will also be available to give tours of the historic club house.
- Included in the price of your ticket is an open beer and wine bar, as well as a first edition of the new Atlas Obscura notebook and your own copy of the 2018 Atlas Obscura wall calendar.
- 21 and over, guests must bring IDs to enter.
Stay connected! Subscribe to Atlas Obscura's New York Obscura Society newsletter
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.