Looking for a jet engine coffee table, an airplane wing conference table, or just a pilot’s ejection seat desk chair? MotoArt has you covered.
Join Field Agent Benjamin Harmon as we soar to new heights all while sinking deep into a couch… a couch made from an authentic Albatross float tank, to be precise. And if you’re asking yourself, what the heck is an Albatross float tank, well I guess you’ll have to come find out when we explore MotoArt, a Torrance-based company that turns non-operational aviation parts into furnishings for the home and office.
MotoArt was started in a garage in Torrance nearly 15 years ago, where the basic motto was (and has remained): functional art out of old decommissioned airplanes and plane related ephemera, in the name of preserving aviation history and repurposing the precision and beauty of aircrafts. Since then, MotoArt has really taken flight and now has over 130 different designs, as well as showrooms in Maryland, Australia, China, Malaysia and of course El Segundo, where all the manufacturing and assembly take place.
On this tour we will get an exclusive walk-through of the showroom and manufacturing facility as well as a background about the company from the early days of scouring desert airplane scrap yards to recent expansions overseas. At the end of the tour, each attendee will receive a unique laser-etched plane tag, made out of a section of vintage airplane fuselage. How cool is that? Well, let me answer that for you… it’s PLANE awesome!
So, if you’re interested in aeronautics and/or aesthetically astonishing accoutrements, hop on board and prepare to be launched into the world of high-end aviation art!
- No children under 12 years old. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Directions and parking instruction will be sent out prior to the tour date.
- El Segundo is located about 20 miles from Downtown Los Angeles. Please plan your route ahead to estimate travel time.
- Please wear comfortable shoes and be prepared for at least one hour of standing and walking on the tour.
- Bring your cameras and share your photos with us! Tag #atlasobscura #motoart
- Super cool items will be available for purchase, so clean out under those couch cushions.
- A signed liability waiver will be required from all confirmed attendees.
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.
Check out our full lineup of amazing adventures taking place all around the world on Obscura Day, our annual celebration of discovery!
Use the #obscuraday hashtag on your favorite social media platforms to show us how you're celebrating. We'll be featuring your posts on our own platforms all day, and you could even win some Atlas Obscura prizes.