Looking for a jet-engine coffee table, an airplane-wing conference table, or a pilot’s ejection-seat desk chair? MotoArt has you covered.
Join Field Agent Benjamin Harmon as we soar to new heights, all while sinking deep into a couch. A couch made from an authentic Albatross float tank, to be precise. And if you’re asking yourself what the heck an Albatross float tank is, you'll have to come find out when we explore MotoArt, a Torrance-based company that turns non-operational aviation parts into furnishings for the home and office.
MotoArt was started in a garage in Torrance nearly 15 years ago, where the basic motto was (and has remained): Functional art out of old decommissioned airplanes and plane-related ephemera, in the name of preserving aviation history and repurposing the precision and beauty of aircraft.
Since then, MotoArt has really taken flight, and now has over 130 different designs as well as showrooms in Maryland, Australia, China, Malaysia and of course Torrance, where all the manufacturing and assembly take place. They recently relocated and their new space is more awe-inspiring than ever.
On this tour we will get an exclusive walk-through of the showroom and manufacturing facility led by MotoArt owner Dave Hall. We will hear stories about the early days of the company scouring desert airplane scrap yards to recent expansions overseas. At the end of the tour, each attendee will receive a unique laser-etched plane tag, made out of a section of vintage airplane fuselage.
If you’re interested in aeronautics and/or aesthetically astonishing accoutrements, hop on board and prepare to be launched into the world of high-end aviation art. Trust us, it's PLANE awesome!!
- No children under 12 years old. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Directions and parking instructions will be sent prior to the tour date.
- Please wear comfortable shoes and be prepared for at least one hour of standing and walking on the tour.
- Bring your camera and share your photos with us! Tag #atlasobscura #motoart
- Super cool items will be available for purchase, so clean out under your couch cushions.
- A signed liability waiver will be required from all confirmed attendees.
Email Benjamin Harmon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.