Bees might not be an ideal guest at a family picnic, but they are one of the most important and instrumental insects in our ecosystem. Credit is due to the beekeepers who maintain colonies of bees and harvest honey so we can all enjoy blooming flowers in the spring and honey in our tea.
In this 2-hour seminar, you'll get a tour of Chicago's beekeeping supply store and speak with Naaman Gambill, an experienced beekeeper, who will talk about the basics of bee keeping. Gambill will cover topics from the anatomy of bees, the history of keeping bees, the tools used to harvest honey, and much more! Attendees will also have the opportunity to check out an Observation Hive: a fully operational beehive behind a glass dome, so all parts of the hive network can be observed safely.
You'll be able to handle frames full of comb, the source of delicious honey. After the seminar, there will be plenty of time to ask questions about how you can start your own beehive, and you'll even be able to purchase all the tools you'll need to start off, plus apparel, beeswax candles, and a tasty bottle of honey to bring home.
- Meet Field Agent Kirby Barth inside The Hive Supply store at 3414 W. Roosevelt Road. She'll be the one with the look of someone looking for someone.
- Street parking is available, and you can also take the #12 Roosevelt bus on the CTA.
- The event will run rain, shine, or snow.
- The event is all ages, but kids under 18 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- This even is ADA accessible.
- Restrooms will be available.
- All attendees must wear closed-toe shoes and pants.
- Feel free to bring your cameras, take pictures, and use #atlasobscura for your social media posts on the tour.
- This ticket is non-refundable, but you can transfer it by following this handy Eventbrite tutorial.
Email Kirby Barth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the Atlas Obscura Society Chicago newsletter and join our Facebook Group for a first glimpse at upcoming events.
Advance ticket sales only. All ticket sales are final. No refunds or exchanges.