Church of Type is the personal office of Kevin Bradley, one of America’s most prolific and instrumental letterpress printmakers. From the beginning, Kevin’s slogan has been “Art for the people, since 1987.”
On our tour, Kevin will lead us through his expansive emporium of rare and archaic letterpress ephemera and give a short printmaking demonstration. He will also share his numerous projects and transitions in the industry as well as provide us with a background on the art of typography and how he has helped modernize it.
“Although Kevin works in the tradition of authentic letterpress, his aim as a designer and artist is and has been to create contemporary work using antiquated methods” —from the Church of Type website.
There will even be a special souvenir for each of you to take home!
Oh and be sure to cash in all that loose change you’ve been collecting in a mason jar, as many of the amazingly detailed, hand-made prints will be available for purchase.
Church of Type will be closing up shop in Spring 2018, so this may be your last chance to get a glimpse behind the scenes in its Santa Monica location!
- Please note there are two (2) tour times, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Be prepared to stand and walk for the duration of the tour.
- Casual attire recommended, as there may be some exposure to ink and other potentially messy materials.
- Family friendly! Ages 12+. All minors must be ticketed and accompanied by an adult.
- Plenty of street parking.
- Bring your camera! Tag #atlasobscura @atlasobscura
- A signed liability waiver will be required from all confirmed attendees.
Email Benjamin Harmon at benjamin.harmon@