Join Atlas Obscura Society D.C. and the Eleanor Roosevelt Papers Project as we take a walk through the life of one of the most extraordinary and influential women in American history.
Historians Christy Regenhardt and Christopher Brick will be our guides on a two-mile walking tour of Eleanor Roosevelt's D.C., starting near Dupont Circle—where the Roosevelts lived during WWI—and winding past the American Red Cross National Headquarters, the White House, and Constitution Hall. We will learn about Roosevelt's time in the nation's capital and how the city influenced her work as a journalist, diplomat, activist, and First Lady. Plus, we will dive into why it took a long legal battle to obtain her classified FBI files.
The Eleanor Roosevelt Papers Project's mission is to publish both digital and print editions of Eleanor Roosevelt's political papers that highlights her prolific career as a journalist, thought leader, public speaker, and cultural icon.
This is a rescheduled event from December 2nd that was originally postponed due to weather.
- Our meeting point is both metro and bus accessible. It's a six-minute walk from the Dupont Circle Metro station (on the red line) and a three-minute walk from the H1, L1, N2, N4, and N6 lines.
- Our meeting location is in front of 2131 R Street Northwest. Please don't walk up the stoop or knock on the door. It's a private residence.
- The tour will NOT end at the same place as the starting location. The tour will end in front of the DAR headquarters on D Street NW, about two miles from our starting location.
- Street parking is available, but limited.
- This is a two-mile, outdoor walking tour. Wear appropriate, closed-toe footwear and dress for the weather.
- This adventure is family-friendly!
Email Lori Brister at email@example.com.
Add wonder to your inbox! Sign up for Atlas Obscura newsletters and join our Atlas Obscura Society D.C. Facebook group to discover unexpected stories, amazing places, and remarkable events and trips around the world.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.