Have you ever wondered what it's like to be a member of an elite, time-traveling, candy-loving, mail-carrying team? Are you intrigued by telephony? Join us for the Elsewhere Philatelic Society's Mail Carrier Training adventure! You'll spend the day wandering a picturesque Berkeley neighborhood, learning about the alternate history of the area via clues in the environment along with those found in your map. Call it interactive fiction, a puzzle hunt, or an Alternate Reality Game - either way, when you're finished, you'll have a brand new commemorative stamp for your collection. Your ticket price includes an essential map and an event-day helpline.
The Elsewhere Philatelic Society (EPS) is an art collective that focuses on the drive to achieve Philatelicism (“[...] the study of the study of stamp collecting, collectors, and collections”): an amorphous mish-mash of public space reinterpretation, street art/environmental installation, publications, machine-augmented concerns, and philately. Currently EPS members are engaged in a series of training sessions to better become fully prepared mail carriers.
Important notes about this adventure:
- Be prepared to spend 1 to 3 hours strolling around a mostly flat residential neighborhood
- The rolling start lasts from 1 to 2pm
- You may take until 5pm to fully complete the walk
- You will receive a map and instructions from the nice folks at your starting location, The Escapist Comics
- You can also call the helpline (415.214.9511) during the event
- Comfortable shoes, cash for snacks, and a fully-charged cell phone with headphones are essential
All Sales are Final.
Check out our full lineup of amazing adventures taking place all around the world on Obscura Day, our annual celebration of discovery!
Share photos on Twitter and Instagram with us @atlasobscura using the #obscuraday hashtag.