The Uptown neighborhood in Chicago is a vibrant community founded on the ideas of entertainment, shopping, and building a commercial district to rival that of downtown Chicago. It's home to some of the most majestic movie palaces in the world, and for a brief shining moment, was the heart of the film industry, not only in Chicago but across the country.
On this brand new tour, you'll join Field Agent and local historian Leyla Royale on a walk through the neighborhood, seeing what remains of the entertainment district in Uptown, learn about how its changed over the years, and hear about the exciting future that's just around the corner for the neighborhood. The tour will focus mainly on Uptown's entertainment and movie history, though you'll also learn about the what led to the Uptown area as a whole in Chicago's past.
Atlas Obscura Presents: the 2019 Movie Palace Series
Atlas Obscura is proud to explore the history of movie palaces and movie theatres in 2019 with a series of special events curated by Field Agent and movie palace historian Leyla Royale. These events will focus on the development of this uniquely American architectural form by exploring the companies behind them, learning how their formation has forever changed the entertainment business, and of course visiting several of these beautiful buildings.
- All ages are welcome, but as this is a historic walking tour it might not hold interest for small children.
- Meet Field Agent Leyla Royale in the small plaza in front of Golden House Restaurant and Pancake House and the Riviera Theatre.
- This event goes on rain, shine, or snow!
- Be ready to walk two miles.
- Wear shoes fit for an adventure and weather-appropriate clothing.
- Limited ADA access.
- The ticket is non-refundable, but you can transfer your purchase by following this handy Eventbrite tutorial.
Email Leyla Royale at email@example.com
Stay connected! Subscribe to the Atlas Obscura Society Chicago newsletter