In a tiny plains town along the ghost of highway 24, there’s a tower with a legendary past being rescued from desolation. Built on the highest point between Denver & New York City, it still proudly advertises its view of 6 states from the top of the tower, which earned it a spot on the 1933 list for “Ripley’s Believe it or Not”.
Built in the 1920s, the tower was a thriving roadside attraction, offering a wide array of features including a rattlesnake pit; a café made of stone, concrete, geodes and mica; art painted by a Sioux princess; an enormous collection of oddities for sale, and much more.
In 2013, the owner died and the tower and museum were closed down. For a few scary years, we were at risk of losing the tower, and it was placed on Colorado Preservation’s list of endangered places with the threat of “demolition by neglect.”
Fortunately for all lovers of the obscure and unique, a small group known as See Six States is rescuing the tower. And for one day in November, they’re opening the tower exclusively to the Denver Obscura Society!
- Tour the towers 20+ rooms and the grounds.
- Learn how the tower rescuers sort through the oddities.
- Hear the history of the tower (and stories of its eccentric previous owner).
Quotes about the tower:
"At one time the Tower was the main attraction not just in Genoa, but all of Lincoln County. It was a must-stop for travelers headed across Colorado….there will never be another World’s Wonder View Tower, a monument to the pioneering spirit of the state’s entrepreneurs and Colorado’s rich tourism history.” ~ Patricia Calhoun
“The long history of the Genoa Wonder Tower transcends 5 generations of local and visiting families appreciating the spectacular views of Pikes Peak, and being entertained by the oddities and antiques that largely originated from the plains tribes of Native Americans and early pioneer settlers.” ~ Troy McCue
• This event is NOT in Denver! Address is: 30121 Frontage Rd., Genoa, CO, 80818l; Just off I-70.
• Ticket includes light snacks and hot beverages.
• Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the event begins for check in.
• Please do not remove anything from the Wonder View Tower
• Suitable for ages 13+
What to bring:
- Absolutely no open shoes! Work/hiking boots if available.
- Work gloves if available.
- Water bottle.
- Warm clothing – the tower is not heated. Temperatures may be chilly.
Notes on the area:
The Wonder View Tower is located in Genoa, about an hour and a half drive from Denver. As of the 2010 census, Genoa had a population of 139 people. There are no stores or gas stations in Genoa, so please plan accordingly! Carpooling is advised!