On December 3rd, Atlas Obscura and Original Alaskan Outfitters Filson invite you to join us for a pioneering nighttime tour in Seattle's Elliott Bay.
Market squid (Loligo opalescens) enter the relatively shallow water of Elliott Bay to spawn every year between November and February. For nearly a century, a squid fishery has quietly flourished along piers and docks downtown, largely out of view—after all, the squid only come out at night, attracted by the fishermen’s lights shining on the sea.
Testing our sea legs and trying our luck, we'll aim to catch these squid in open water, as the lights of the Emerald City glimmer in the distance.
Under the light of the stars, we'll also explore squid science with NOAA Marine Research Ecologist Mike Maher, who will demo a plankton net to let us observe tetrapods, larval crab, and other small sea creatures. Additional remarks by curator David Francis will extend our field investigations into history, poetry, old-school empiricism, and fishing lore. And in the boat's galley kitchen, we'll be hosted by DJ and celebrity chef Tarik Abdullah, whose culinary creations weave in the tastes of North Africa and the Mediterranean.
This is the first installment of the Seattle Obscura Society's FIELDBOUND series, which focuses on the experience of hands-on field research.
- Your ticket includes: the cruise, lectures, a fishing permit, gear rental, hand-made fishing lures, and our gourmet chef-prepared food offering.
- Join us early if you'd like to warm up with a pre-event cocktail! We'll be meeting at 7:30 p.m. at the Marriott Waterfront bar, located at 2100 Alaskan Way. If you'd prefer to meet us at the pier instead, make sure to arrive on time--we'll board our vessel and depart promptly at 8 p.m.
- Bring warm clothes, boots, and rain gear in case of possible blustery weather, as well as squid ink and spillage. We would, of course, recommend our partner Filson's incredible range of goods and gear!
- This event is 18+. All participants will be asked to sign a liability waiver.
- Apologies, the charter for this program is not ADA equipped.
Advance tickets only. All sales are final. No refunds or exchanges.
If you have any questions, please contact Shin Yu Pai at firstname.lastname@example.org.