Seattle’s Comet Lodge Cemetery sits abandoned, itself having been buried by time, greed, and bureaucracy. Today, most observers pass by the cemetery without even recognizing the hallowed ground. Join field agent Jared Steed, as we explore the cemetery by flashlight and learn about its tragic history and its largely forgotten inhabitants.
During our one-hour tour, we will discuss Comet Lodge’s history, from its time as Duwamish Indian burial site, to a pioneer cemetery, and lastly to an abandoned cemetery bulldozed for housing developments. As we explore the cemetery by flashlight, we will visit its few remaining upright headstones, those that have been discarded, and its sunken plots. We will also discuss what became of its more than 400 inhabitants, from children, to the prominent local pioneering Maple and Van Asselt families, to Seattle’s first female doctor, Emma Rigby.
- Second tour added from 5:45-6:45 p.m.!
(First tour at 7 p.m. is sold out.)
- We'll meet at the southeast corner of the cemetery at the intersections of S. Graham St. and 23rd Ave. S. The address for the cemetery itself is 2100 S. Graham St., Seattle, WA 98108.
- As the cemetery is surrounded by residential streets, public parking is extremely limited. Please read signs carefully and park at your own discretion. We recommend that you plan for public transportation options to and from this event.
- The tour is entirely outside and will run rain or shine from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- We will be walking approximately one-half mile over uneven ground so please wear comfortable walking and water-resistant shoes. Participants will be responsible for bringing their own flashlights.
- Each participant will need to sign a liability waiver.
- Tour is family-friendly but parents must keep an eye on their children.
- This tour is best suited for people without mobility restrictions.
- No public restrooms are available inside the cemetery.
Email Jared Steed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advance ticket sales only. All ticket sales are final. No refunds or exchanges