Up Top Acres is re-imagining what a farm looks like. Started by three D.C. natives in 2014, they are creating a new urban landscape, where fresh vegetables grow on top of new buildings.
Join Atlas Obscura Society D.C. for an exclusive tour, herb planting, and food tasting at their 15,000-square-foot farm on top of the roof of 55 M Street SE. With views of the Capitol, Washington Monument, and Nationals Park, this growing space is unlike any other farm in the District.
An Up Top Acres farmer will lead the tour, which will include a background about the organization, the crops they grow, and how they're changing the way we build our cities. Event participants will be given a lesson in herb planting (which they will be able to take home) and taste produce grown at the farm.
- Please meet in the lobby of 55 M Street SE.
- This event is metro accessible. The closest metro is Navy Yard (green), which is right next door to our meeting location.
- As a warning, the roof-top gardens include active bee hives.
- This event is wheelchair accessible.
- The event is kid-friendly, however, every attendee will need a ticket
- For the herb planting, attendees will be provided plastic planters, but you're welcome to bring your own small planter.
Contact Fiona Clem at email@example.com.
Add wonder to your inbox! Sign up for Atlas Obscura newsletters and join our Atlas Obscura Society D.C. Facebook group to discover unexpected stories, amazing places, and remarkable events and trips around the world.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.