Never mind the clichés—come dig into the true dirt of Seattle’s musical roots and experience venues that led to the sonic boom that drew the world’s attention in the '90s.
Join us for a dynamic walking tour through parts of Seattle’s music history. We’ll look beyond the bleached-out remnants of Seattle’s highs (and lows) while keeping our eyes and ears peeled for the future of the true local sound. We’ll pay tribute to nostalgia, while focusing upon understanding Seattle’s still evolving musical and cultural platforms.
Our tour will start at one of Seattle's most historic venues (The Moore Theatre) and undertake a path including venues where many influential '80s and '90s bands entered the fray. Stops will feature unmarked landmarks worth remembering, the old and new homes of Sub Pop Records, influential performance and practice venues throughout Belltown, a few pub-crawl-y fueling pit stops, and a final flurry of stories in the Seattle Center. Our special access to these previously uncollected points of interest will finish with a tour of KEXP’s studios with Field Agent Eric Magnuson.
This will be a motivated walking tour that will cover approximately two miles, with multiple brief question and answer stops with Seattle music industry professionals and experts. Even if you lived through Seattle’s past music industry boom(s), the insights offered during this event will give you the knowledge of what happened here from an array of uniquely divergent angles. Why not learn from those with vast firsthand experience about what made (and continues to make) Seattle’s music scene so unique? Even better, you'll get to do so with a similarly curious band of Seattle Obscura Society fans.
Join us for a walk that will rock.
- This event is for 21+ only. All participants must have a legal photo I.D.
- Meet in front of The Moore Theatre at 1932 2nd Ave.
- Street parking is available; please read signs carefully and park at your own discretion. We recommend that you plan for public transportation options to and from this event. Please note this tour will end at KEXP’s home in the Seattle Center (305 Harrison St.).
- We will be “urban hiking” about 2.5 miles total at a moderate pace, making numerous stops along the route. There will be the opportunity for quick food and drink purchases along the way. Please plan accordingly with proper shoes.
- Rain or shine. This is Seattle, after all.
- Photography is encouraged, but please be respectful in places of business. Tag #atlasobscura for anything especially interesting.
Questions? Email Shin Yu Pai at shinyu.pai
Advance ticket sales only. All ticket sales are final. No refunds or exchanges.