As the sun sets, imagine LA at a time when electricity was a novelty, and parlor visits required a top hat and tails.
Join Field Agent Hadley Meares on a rare twilight tour of Heritage Square Museum, where we'll explore historically significant buildings in various stages of restoration – from a train depot to a church and an eight-sided circular house.
Our special after-hours visit was arranged exclusively for Los Angeles Obscura Society, as day turns into dusk.
In the 19th Century, Los Angeles homeowners expressed themselves through the architecture of their houses, with dazzling color palettes and intricate woodworkings. But by the 1960s, these Victorian architectural styles – Queen Anne, Eastlake, Greek Revival Italianate, Carpenter Gothic – were threatened with extinction.
Over the past 40 years, Heritage Square has become a home for such endangered structures that originated from Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, Boyle Heights, Pasadena, and Downtown LA. Neglected and vandalized, these historic buildings faced demolition before being acquired by and relocated to the museum. Once forlorn, these architectural gems have found a new home in a charming little time warp town off the 110 Freeway.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the LA Obscura Society newsletter and be the first to find out about upcoming events.
Notes for this adventure:
- We will be meeting at the museum at sunset (4:45 p.m.) and touring it in low lighting (or no lighting) conditions. Bring flashlights, lanterns, and glowsticks to help you find your way. No candles or open flames, please.
- No Smoking anywhere on the property.
- No A/C in building interiors, so bring layers for potentially warm indoors and cool outdoors.
- Photography is permitted of exteriors only. No interior photography allowed. Not all interiors will be open.
- Wear sturdy shoes for a moderate amount of walking on unpaved / gravel terrain and mild stair climbing. Not ADA-accessible.
- All ages welcome, but the long stretches of gravel on the grounds are not stroller-friendly.
- Sorry, no dogs except for service animals.
- Rain or shine, except in the case of heavy rain, when the museum will close for safety reasons.
- Plenty of free onsite parking available on the street and in a dirt lot.
- A signed liability waiver will be required for this event.
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final.