Homing pigeons are infamous for their incredible navigation abilities, sometimes traveling hundreds of miles through disorienting skies and soundwaves to return home to their nests. So how exactly does one train a bird to always know its way home?
Join Atlas Obscura for an introduction to the phenomena of bird navigation with the L.A. Pigeon Club and a guided tour of pigeon geneticist Drew Lobenstein's private pigeon collection. Drew will share insights into the practice of raising and training homing pigeons and introduce you to some of the more rare crossbreeds and show birds in his flock of more than 1,000 birds. You'll also get the opportunity to hold and release a dove and watch as they fly circles around us, perform tricks, and return to their coop on their own accord.
Founded in 1911, the L.A. Pigeon Club is one of the oldest in Southern California. Drew is a well-known pigeon geneticist and the owner of White Doves Fancy Pigeons. His flock includes Frillbacks, Fantails, and Danzig Highflyers.
- This event is family friendly, ages 10+.
- We will be touring a private home in Reseda. The exact address will be emailed to attendees a few days before the tour.
- During the tour, we will be encountering feathers and fine dust. If this is a concern for you, please bring a fine particulate filter mask to wear during the tour.
- Please wear closed-toed shoes. High heels, sandals, and flip flops are not allowed.
- Photography and video are allowed.
- A signed and dated liability waiver is required from all attendees (includes filming consent—L.A. Pigeon Club will be recording video for their YouTube channel).
Email Benjamin Harmon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.