An electrifying exploration of colorfully illuminated glass tubes, noble gases, and electrodes!
Join Field Agent Sandi Hemmerlein on an exclusive behind the scenes visit to Flektro Studios, where neon artist Michael Flechtner creates both 2D and 3D neon sculptures—some of which are animated, and some of which can be spun around to be viewed upside down or sideways for a completely different perspective.
Once a dying craft, neon art has become a powerful, yet often misunderstood, medium of expression. Michael's work in neon art has earned him the J. Paul Getty Trust Fund Fellowship for the Visual Arts as well as a number of public commissions, including "A Neon Aquarium" in West LA and the "Neon Celebrate" Forever Stamp for the U.S. Postal Service, originally issued in 2011 and just reissued in 2017.
A member of the Museum of Neon Art's Board of Trustees and a mentor to aspiring neon artists, Michael will walk us through his private studio, which serves as both his workshop and a gallery of his finished pieces. We'll get a peek into his artistic process—from design to fabrication and electrification—including a captivating glass-bending demonstration!
- The exact address will be sent out to all confirmed attendees a few days before the event.
- A signed liability waiver is required from all attendees.
- No children under age 12. All minors must be ticketed and accompanied by an adult.
- Please wear closed-toed shoes.
- We will be visiting an active art studio with glass, machinery, electronics, and other materials. No large bags or excessively loose clothing, and please—no touching!
- Photography is encouraged. Tag @atlasobscura #atlasobscura @flektro22
- The actual sculptures on view in the studio may differ from those pictured here.
- Items will be available for purchase.
- End time is scheduled for 1 pm, but may run over depending on audience Q&A.
Email Field Agent Sandi Hemmerlein at sandi@
ADVANCE TICKETS ONLY. ALL SALES FINAL. NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES.