On December 21st, 1940, the 44-year-old F. Scott Fitzgerald died tragically and was buried in Maryland's Rockville Cemetery. However, that's not where he remained.
Join Atlas Obscura & Peerless Rockville as we celebrate F. Scott Fitzgerald on the 76th anniversary of his death with a visit to his past and present gravesites at Rockville Cemetery and St. Mary's Catholic Church Cemetery. Beginning at Peerless Rockville's headquarters in the old city courthouse, we'll enjoy a full afternoon of history, freshly mulled (non-alcoholic) apple cider, and a short vigil. Transportation will be provided between destinations.
Peerless Rockville Historic Preservation, Ltd. is an award-winning nonprofit, community-based organization founded in 1974 to preserve buildings, objects, and information important to Rockville’s heritage. Peerless Rockville advances its goals through education, example, advocacy, and community involvement.
Notes for this Adventure:
- We will meet at 29 Courthouse Square, the old city courthouse and home of Peerless Rockville.
- Before heading out on our adventure, we will enjoy freshly mulled (non-alcoholic) apple cider while we briefly discuss why our guest of honor is in Rockville.
- We will be standing and walking through cemeteries in the December cold, so please bundle up and dress appropriately.
- Transportation from the Rockville Courthouse to the respective cemeteries is included in the ticket price.
- While there is street parking near the courthouse, we encourage all to use public transportation. The Rockville Metro station is on the Red Line and located about 2.5 blocks from the courthouse. Please refer to WMATA's website for more information.
- Peerless Rockville members are invited to call Peerless Rockville for a membership discount.
- A portion of the proceeds from this event will be donated to Peerless Rockville, St. Mary's Catholic Church Cemetery and Rockville Cemetery.
All ticket sales are final. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Matt Blitz at email@example.com.