This fall, come explore the “Ghost Fleet of Mallows Bay"—the largest concentration of shipwrecks in the Western Hemisphere.
Outfitted in kayaks, join the Atlas Obscura Society D.C. and the Atlantic Kayak Company as we paddle alongside grandiose ships rising out of the shallow backwater of the Potomac River.
Accessible via kayak or canoe, there are nearly 200 ships here, forever in their watery grave. While the earliest dates back to the American Revolutionary War, most were scrapped after a World War I shipbuilding surge. In the years since, nature has swallowed the hulking vessels, turning them into habitats for the many water species living in the bay. The bay and its surrounding areas are also home to other unique wildlife, such as river otters, river hawks, and bald eagles. Just last year, Mallows Bay was nominated to be a national marine sanctuary.
Come celebrate autumn with us by exploring this historic and magical place!
- Price includes kayak rental, paddles, life jackets, safety equipment and a certified interpretive guide.
- All kayaks will be tandem, so you will be buddied up!
- Attendees will be kayaking several miles, so please make sure you are comfortable with this.
- We will be on the water for several hours, so please bring water and a small snack.
- Prior to the event, all attendees will receive a confirmation package, including safety information, parking, directions, and release forms.
- This event is weather permitting and we will be sure to update attendees accordingly.
Contact Matt Blitz at email@example.com.
Add wonder to your inbox! Sign up for Atlas Obscura newsletters and join our Atlas Obscura Society D.C. Facebook group to discover unexpected stories, amazing places, and remarkable events and trips around the world.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.