Join the head of the Atlas Obscura Society D.C. Matt Blitz and Judy Lathrop of Atlantic Kayak as kayak through open waters in search of the elusive ripe pawpaw, a creamy fruit that was a favorite of America's founding fathers.
Along the way, we will also discover all the edible treats dotting Mattawoman Creek, the highly diverse tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. As we venture through the tidal freshwater marsh, we will see wild rice, Tuckahoe, sweet flag, and other deliciousness that this "bread basket" marsh has to offer.
After our adventure, we will enjoy the fruits of our labor in the newly renovated Mattawoman Creek Nature Center.
- Price includes kayak rental, paddles, life jackets, safety equipment and a certified interpretive guide.
- All kayaks will be tandem, so you will be buddied up!
- Attendees will be kayaking several miles, so please make sure you are comfortable with this.
- We will be on the water for several hours, so please bring water to stay hydrated!
- Prior to the event, all attendees will receive a confirmation package, including safety information, parking, directions, and release forms.
- This event is weather permitting and we will be sure to update attendees accordingly.
Contact Matt Blitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the DC Obscura Society newsletter for a first glimpse at upcoming events.
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.