There is a Japanese Village in Downtown L.A., a secret world created by fashion designer Peter Lai. Dolls, kimonos, extravagant costumes, antiques, ceramics, lanterns, scrolls, and other objects organized into what he calls a "village" of rooms that represent daily life in Japan. A temple, theater, tea room, doll shop, kitchen and other spaces of gathering.
Join Field Agent Robert Hemedes as we explore this private collection of Japanese treasures gathered by Lai over the past several decades.
You can also check out a recent Atlas Obscura article created with Chase Sapphire about the event they sponsored in September. The photos capture the special quality of the collection.
- Please note that there are multiple tour times.
- This event is for adults only, 18 and up.
- Secret location! Meet outside the Valero Gas Station: 500 S Alameda Street, Los Angeles, CA, 90013.
- Do NOT park at the gas station. Street parking is available, please read signs carefully and park at your own discretion.
- Because this is a very small space, backpacks and large purses are NOT allowed. Please leave them in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Many of the items you will see are also for sale, cash only.
- Bring your cameras for an amazing photo opp!
Email Robert Hemedes at robert@.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.