On this brand new tour, join historian, author, curator and Jensen-aficionado Julia Bachrach along with field agent Bonnie Tawse to explore Humboldt Park as you learn about its nature, landscaping and history.
Humboldt Park, a 200-acre green space on the Northwest side of Chicago, is one of the city’s loveliest and most fascinating historic parks. It can be thought of as the “living laboratory” for Jens Jensen, a Danish immigrant who began working as a park laborer in the 1880s and went on to become Dean of Prairie-style landscape architecture. Soon after his appointment as Chief Designer and General Superintendent of the entire West Park System in 1905, Jensen redeveloped Humboldt Park with experimental natural-looking features, native plants and Prairie style architectural elements.
This walking tour through Humboldt Park includes a visit to Jensen’s historic office in the recently restored Stables Building, now home to the National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts and Culture. While there, Julia will highlighting historic artifacts including plans and photos of Humboldt Park in an exhibition she herself curated. We'll then take a pleasant stroll along the Jensen’s Prairie River, as we explore the park’s architecture, public art works, and details about the diverse cultural groups who have lived near the park over the years.
Meet Field Agent Bonnie Tawse in the lobby of the National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts and Culture at 3015 W. Division St.
- There is free parking in the lot of the National Museum of Puerto Rican Art and Culture.
- The #70 Division bus stops on the corner of Division Street and Humboldt Drive.
- The event will run rain or shine. If it’s raining, bring an umbrella, if it’s sunny, be sure to wear a hat, sunglasses and/or sunscreen.
- This tour is open to all ages but it does involve a mix of walking, standing, stopping and listening in both a museum and outdoor setting.
- The event is ADA accessible.
- Wear your walking shoes and bring your camera!
- This ticket is not refundable, but you can transfer it to someone else by using this handy Eventbrite tutorial.
Email Bonnie Tawse at email@example.com.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.