Discover Mountain View Cemetery, one of Los Angeles' most beautiful and undiscovered wonders—and home to "the crown jewel" mausoleum.
Join Field Agent Benjamin Harmon as we explore Mountain View Mausoleum with funeral director, film actor, and author of Confessions... of an L.A. Funeral Director, Denny Dormody. The event will begin in the mausoleum chapel, where Denny will share the history of Mountain View Cemetery and Mausoleum over coffee and snacks. From there, we'll explore the main corridor, the new radiance hall, the art gallery, crypts and niches aplenty, and even a bit of the cemetery.
Afterwards, we'll have the unique opportunity to view the prop/faux preparatory room, which was created for the sole purpose of film shoots. Surprisingly realistic and authentic in appearance, the room features a prep table, sinks, and even a mock freezer unit that opens. The enormous cemetery and grounds will be open post-tour for your own exploration. This is going to be an affair worth taking to the grave... dead serious!
About Mountain View
A disciple of Frank Lloyd Wright, Cecil E. Bryan began construction on the Mountain View Mausoleum in 1923 and considered it to be the crown jewel of the more than 80 mausoleums he built nationwide. Taking pride in Mountain View as a true work of art, Bryan included a series of grandiose features and add-ons, like extensive stained glass and frescoed ceilings, to demonstrate his elegant craftsmanship and to create what he proudly believed was a "model mausoleum.” Today, he and his wife rest in sarcophagi on the galleria level.
- Park in the mausoleum parking lot (2300 Marengo Ave) and meet in front of the mausoleum.
- The mausoleum is 90+ years old, along with much of its furniture. So, please act in a respectful and careful manner.
- Photos are allowed, but please do not take pictures of the names of those resting at Mountain View.
- Expect to be standing/walking for at least 90 minutes.
- The entire grounds of the mausoleum will be open for exploring as well as the cemetery!
- Family friendly, ages 12+. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Email Benjamin Harmon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.