Discover Mountain View Cemetery, one of Los Angeles' most beautiful and undiscovered wonders—and home to "the crown jewel" mausoleum. There's no better way to celebrate Christmas, than by viewing Mountain View's "The History of Christianity" the 180-foot fresco depicting breath-taking scenes from The Bible.
Join Field Agent Benjamin Harmon as we explore Mountain View Mausoleum with local cemetery historian Wanda Poston and funeral director, film actor, and author of Confessions... of an L.A. Funeral Director, Denny Dormody. The event will begin in the mausoleum chapel, where Wanda and Denny will share some of the history of Mountain View Cemetery and Mausoleum over coffee and snacks. From there, we'll explore the main corridor, the new radiance hall, the art gallery, crypts and niches aplenty, and even a bit of the cemetery.
Afterwards, we'll have the unique opportunity to view the prop/faux preparatory room, which was created for the sole purpose of film shoots. Surprisingly realistic and authentic in appearance, the room features a prep table, sinks, and even a mock freezer unit that opens. The enormous cemetery and grounds will be open post-tour for further (self-led) exploration. This is going to be an affair worth taking to the grave... dead serious!
About Mountain View
A disciple of Frank Lloyd Wright, Cecil E. Bryan began construction on the Mountain View Mausoleum in 1923 and considered it to be the crown jewel of the more than 80 mausoleums he built nationwide. Taking pride in Mountain View as a true work of art, Bryan included a series of grandiose features and add-ons, like extensive stained glass and frescoed ceilings, to demonstrate his elegant craftsmanship and to create what he proudly believed was a "model mausoleum.” Today, he and his wife rest in sarcophagi on the galleria level.
About Denny Dormody
Denny Dormody is a comedy writer, actor, and author of “Confessions...of a Hollywood Movie Extra” and “Confessions...of an L.A. Funeral Director.” (Amazon; Barnes & Noble) The Screen Actors Guild’s only known real-life officially Licensed Funeral Director, Denny has appeared in dozens of movies and TV shows from “The Grifters” to “Curb Your Enthusiasm” to “Sharknado.” His stream-of-unconsciousness tour descriptions will be, as always, entertaining, informative and mostly intelligible.
- Park in the mausoleum parking lot (2300 Marengo Ave) and meet in chapel (more details prior to event).
- The mausoleum is 90+ years old, along with much of its furniture. So, please act in a respectful and careful manner.
- Photos are allowed, but please do not take pictures of the names of those resting at Mountain View.
- Expect to be standing/walking for at least 90 minutes. There is a bit of walk (2-4 blocks) from the mausoleum over to the cemetery grounds and the faux prep room. Wear some comfy shoes. If needbe you can drive from one site to the next.
- The entire grounds of the mausoleum will be open for exploring as well as the cemetery!
- Family friendly, ages 12+. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Email Benjamin Harmon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.