Join writer and Field Agent Hadley Meares as she leads us to the ruins of the shadowy Murphy Ranch.
Help unravel the mystery of this 1930s-era self-sustaining commune as we tour the property, visiting the barn, power house, and never-ending stone steps still visible today, among other structures. View long-lost blueprints recently discovered deep in the archives of UCLA that prove the owners of Murphy Ranch were attempting to build some kind of palace, perhaps for an earthly ruler—or possible a heavenly one. We'll try to separate conjecture from fact as we walk this beautiful, haunting property whose rumored history has fascinated Angelinos for a generation.
- WEATHER CANCELLATION: This event is weather dependent. If we are expecting significant rain on this date, we will cancel the event via email. Tickets will be refunded or transferred to a rescheduled date, depending on your availability.
- Murphy Ranch is located in a remote canyon in the Santa Monica Mountains with no services and no cell phone service.
- We will email out the exact meeting location to all attendees closer to the event date.
- Street parking is available, but limited and in a residential area. Please be respectful of the neighbors, and carpool if possible.
- We will be hiking about 3.5 miles round trip at a moderate pace. Please plan accordingly with water, snacks, and proper shoes.
- This is a reverse hike, meaning we will descend into the canyon first and then climb out of it when we exit. Please reserve your energy for the uphill climb at the end!
- Be prepared for heat! Please bring water and sun protection (sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, etc.).
- No children under age 15.
- Dog friendly! Just be sure your pup can climb up and down stairs, as well as bring proper clean-up equipment.
- A liability waiver is required for this event.
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.