Celebrate Veteran's Day Weekend with a rare "sleepover" excursion aboard the USS Iowa, arranged exclusively for Atlas Obscura Society Los Angeles.
As the only civilian adult group ever to receive permission for such an extended, immersive experience, we will gather on the permanently moored ship, now known as the Battleship Iowa Museum, in the late afternoon to receive our safety briefing, get settled into our bunks, and chow down on an early dinner in the mess hall.
We'll then take an extensive tour of the massive warship—which measures 887 feet (about 0.15 nautical miles) in length—through state rooms, command centers, the main galley, and other areas that show what "life at sea" was like for sailors in the Pacific Fleet from the 1940s through the 1980s.
And, as a special bonus, we'll even gain exclusive access to some areas of this great, gray lady that are not currently open to the public during regular tours.
After a good night's sleep, we'll rise to reveille, grab a hot breakfast, and listen to some final parting words.
Join Field Agent Hadley Meares to experience the routines and customs aboard the notorious "Big Stick" of the U.S. Navy, which has retired at the former home of the United States battle fleet from (1919-1940) and, more recently, the Long Beach Naval Shipyard.
She was the lead ship of the last class of battleships in the Navy, having served in three significant commissions: World War II, the Korean War, and the Cold War. And now, having emerged from the Navy's mothball fleet just a few years ago, she has made the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro her permanent home.
- Dinner, tour, overnight accommodations, and breakfast are all included in the ticket price. Overnight parking available for an additional fee.
- The USS Iowa no longer sets sail, so don't worry about getting seasick!
- No children under age 16. Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- No "in-and-out" privileges after lights out.
- Signed liability waivers will be required from all confirmed attendees.
- This takes place in San Pedro at the Port of Los Angeles/L.A. Harbor. Please allow plenty of time for travel.
- Mattresses are single occupancy only. If you're very tall (over 6'4"), have broad shoulders, or are claustrophobic, these accommodations are not for you!
- Unfortunately due to the nature of the event, it is not handicap accessible. Be prepared to walk up and down several flights of narrow, steep stairs and step up and over doorways. Beware of low overheads ("head knockers") and high watertight doorways ("knee knockers").
- Vegetarian and vegan options available. Please check with us about any food allergies before you purchase your ticket.
- Smoking permitted only on the pier, before "Lights Out."
- Sorry, no hanky-panky allowed, and you must sleep only in designated areas.
- Inclement weather or national security issues may cancel the event.
- A portion of the proceeds will go towards the restoration and upkeep of the USS Iowa.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes for lots of walking indoors and outdoors. Bring a jacket for the evening chill, PJs, and a change of clothes for the next day.
- Bring your own bedding (sleeping bag or pad, sheets/blanket), and pillow(s) as well as any toiletries (toothbrush/paste, etc.).
- Absolutely no alcoholic beverages permitted. Bring bottled water!
- Bring a flashlight and a camera. Photography encouraged! No tripods allowed on the tour, but you can set them up on the deck after hours for some long exposure/night sky photography.
- No weapons, fishing equipment, or chewing gum allowed on board.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.
This event is part of a series of Chase Sapphire Selected experiences. Questions or concerns about this experience? Email SapphireQuestions@AtlasObscura.com for help.