Located on the ground floor of the historic Cadillac Hotel SRO, the Tenderloin Museum celebrates the rich history of a San Francisco neighborhood you thought you knew. The museum's permanent installation tells the story of the neighborhood from its rebuilding after the 1906 earthquake through the present. Get a taste of vibrant community-based arts and educational programming built on the diverse culture of this historic neighborhood.
The evening starts with an optional walking tour of the Tenderloin that will give you special insight into the past and present of the neighborhood by the Museum's resident historians.
Then, amidst the stories documented by the museum, magician Christian Cagigal will weave fairy tales, dark fables and strange happenings into an intimate and engaging evening fraught with wonder, mystery and imagination. With OBSCURA, Cagigal peppers some of his favorite short stories with witty and eccentric demonstrations of close-up card magic and more. The entire show is performed under the watchful eye of a video camera and projected as large as can be, above Cagigal, so the audience can't miss a thing.
Notes for this adventure:
5:00pm - walking tour begins
6:00pm - explore the Museum and reception
7:00pm - performance begins
- The evening begins with an *optional* 60 minute walking tour, for only $5 extra.
- Meet at the Museum. The tour will start promptly at 5:00pm.
- Please be respectful of the community residents during the tour.
- This can be a... colorful... neighborhood, be aware of your surroundings and possessions at all times.
- Rain or shine! This tour will run as scheduled unless we're expecting dangerous weather in which case we will cancel via email. Tickets will be refunded or transferred to a rescheduled date, depending on your availability.
- Cash reception at 6pm.
Advance ticket sales only. All sales are final.
Check out our full lineup of amazing adventures taking place all around the world on Obscura Day, our annual celebration of discovery!
Share photos on Twitter and Instagram with us @atlasobscura using the #obscuraday hashtag.