Join Modern Hiker’s Casey Schreiner as he leads us to the ruins of the "White City," a sprawling alpine resort that operated from 1893 to 1938 on top of Echo Mountain. Experience incredible vistas and forested mountain canyons as we hike along the Sam Merrill Trail to the ruins this turn-of-the-century mountaintop resort. We’ll explore the foundations of the old hotel and dance hall, and check out the remnants of the old funicular railway that took guests up the side of the mountain from Rubio Canyon and point out some other remnants of the estate along the way. We'll then continue up the Castle Canyon Train to the reconstructed viewing platform known as Inspiration Point before returning along the Old Mount Lowe Railway and Sam Merrell Trail. For more details, click here.
Casey Schreiner is the founder of Modern Hiker, the number one hiking blog in California, celebrating their 10th anniversary this year. Better than any hiking guide, these write-ups give you directions to the trailhead, photos and videos of the trails, GPX files for your GPS device, and Google Earth files so you can do some at-home 3D reconnaissance before you make your way to the trailhead. He is also the author of the upcoming hiking guidebook “Day Hiking Los Angeles,” due out later this year from Mountaineers Books.
For more information about the history of Echo Mountain and Mount Lowe, check out the Mount Lowe Preservation Society.
Notes for this adventure:
1. This a moderately STRENUOUS 10 mile hike with over 2,500 ft of elevation gain. We will be hiking at a moderate pace. Attendees should be in top physical shape and ready for a half day of hiking up and down steep terrain without much shade. Be prepared to work up a sweat and bring lots of water!
2. RAIN OR SHINE! This event will take place rain or shine. If it's raining, please be prepared with appropriate footwear and clothing.
3. We will be meeting right outside the iron gate to the old Cobb Estate at the corner of Lake Avenue and Loma Alta Drive in Altadena (34.2040230, -118.1314620). Street parking is available, but limited and in a residential area. Please be respectful of the neighbors, and carpool if possible.
4. We’ll be ending at 2 pm but give yourself some wiggle room in your schedule for some history, Q&A, and a bit of exploration.
5. There may be limited cell service at the meeting location.
Advance ticket sales only. All ticket sales are final.
Spend the day with us! Browse the LA Schedule to plan your day.
After a full day of exploring, join us for an after-party at Valley Relics w/ DJ Mukta Mohan & Magician Siegfried Tieber! Celebrate adventure with your fellow explorers, surrounded by retro signage and other modern commercial antiquities.