"I work very hard to make sure that the men I draw having sex are proud men having happy sex!" - Tom of Finland
Tom of Finland is the most important gay graphic artist of the 20th Century. Experience the craftsman abode he called home in Echo Park during an exclusive event hosted by Field Agent Mark Hayward. The museum is a 1906 craftsman house poised on top a hill overlooking Echo Park. From 1981-1991 Tom split his time between this house in Los Angeles and his home in Finland's capital, Helsinki. He lived and worked in a studio space in the attic.
This event is an open house with tours being conducted every half hour. During the tours we'll view selections from the archive of Tom’s and others' artwork. Before and after your tour you can relax in the garden of delight and explore the dark corners of the dungeon.
Born Touko Laaksonen in 1920, Tom of Finland's hyper erotic images have become icons of the gay community particularly in the uniform and leather fetish scenes. In 1984, Tom and his partner Durk Dehner started the non-profit Tom of Finland Foundation to preserve his work. Now it's also an international safe haven for homoerotic art and anti-censorship advocacy. His work, once censored as pornography, is now in the collections of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and published as a best-selling Taschen monograph. Rizzoli has just published a new monograph, Tom House: Tom of Finland in Los Angeles.
Notes for this adventure:
- Not recommended for adventurers under 18 years of age.
- Limited street parking is available on Laveta Terrace and in the surrounding neighborhood. Carpooling is highly recommended.
- Go Metro! Use the #2 Sunset or #4 Santa Monica buses, get off at Echo Park Boulevard and take the Laveta Stairs up.
- We will be viewing a large variety of highly graphic depictions of homoerotic nudity and sex.
- Refreshments will be served.
- A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Tom of Finland Foundation.
- Attendees are encouraged to wear their favorite leather outfits, but its not necessary to dress up for the tour.
- This adventure makes a great gift for the right bad girl or boy!
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final.
Spend the day with us! Browse the LA Schedule to plan your day.
After a full day of exploring, join us for an after-party at Valley Relics w/ DJ Mukta Mohan & Magician Siegfried Tieber! Celebrate adventure with your fellow explorers, surrounded by retro signage and other modern commercial antiquities.