In addition to being a war hero and the father of our country, George Washington was one of the nation’s largest whiskey distillers. Opening in 1798, Washington's commercial distillery near his Mount Vernon mansion was soon producing nearly 11,000 gallons of whiskey!
This exclusive tour will take a small group of Obscura Society members into Washington's distillery during the height of its whiskey production. We will learn about this unique (and profitable) aspect of George Washington’s life and find out what it takes to produce a fine rye whiskey made from the general’s recipe using historically accurate techniques. The tour includes a rare, behind-the-scenes look at Mount Vernon’s reconstructed distillery during actual whiskey production, plus an opportunity to taste the rye whiskey just like George Washington used to drink.
Finally, we will step inside Mount Vernon’s gristmill. Watch the gears turn, and feel the power of the innovative wooden mill that still grinds the grains used to make Mount Vernon’s growing portfolio of spirits.
Notes for this adventure:
- All adventurers must be 21 years old or older and have valid, government-issued ID. No exceptions.
- Ticket does not include admission to Mount Vernon’s main grounds. If you wish to visit the mansion and grounds before this private event, you must purchase a day pass to Mount Vernon.
- This location is not easily accessible via public transportation. We strongly suggest driving or taking a cab, Uber, or Lyft.
- Free parking is available at the distillery.
- Share photos with us on Twitter and Instagram with us @AtlasObscura and @MountVernon and using the tag #ObscuraSociety.
- A portion of the ticket sales will be donated to the Mount Vernon Ladies Association.
All ticket sales are final. Please direct any questions or concerns to Ashley at email@example.com.