On December 21st, 1940, the 44-year-old F. Scott Fitzgerald died tragically in Hollywood. Seventy-five years later, the acclaimed author and his famous wife, Zelda, rest peacefully in St. Mary's Catholic Church Cemetery in Rockville, Maryland.
Join the Obscura Society DC and Peerless Rockville after hours at the over hundred-year-old St. Mary's Catholic Church Cemetery to celebrate the life and legacy of one of America's greatest novelists, Francis Scott Fitzgerald. Our two hour program will consist of history, wine, a short vigil, and readings at the Fitzgeralds' gravesite. We will also be joined by members of the F. Scott Fitzgerald Literary Festival, Atlas Obscura's CEO David Plotz and other distinguished guests.
Zelda and F. Scott Fitzgerald were American royalty during the roaring 20s, representing the flash and gaudiness of the era. As time wore on though, their lives fractured. F. Scott and Zelda grew apart and, then, estranged. While his wildly successful writing career sent him to Hollywood, his legendary lifestyle soon caught up with him, leaving the author penniless. Zelda battled severe depression that left her in and out of institutions for most of her late life. Both Fitzgeralds died tragically - F. Scott from a heart attack and Zelda in a horrible hospital fire a few years later.
Today, F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald are interred in a family burial site at St. Mary's Catholic Church, though that was not their original destination.
Their headstone bears the final words from The Great Gatsby: "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
Notes for this Adventure:
- We will meet at 29 Courthouse Square, the old Rockville Courthouse and homebase of Peerless Rockville.
- We will be walking about a half mile to the cemetery and standing for about 45 minutes in the December cold, so please bundle up and dress appropriately.
- Since we'll be walking through a dark cemetery, we ask all to bring flashlights. We will have a few to provide the group as well.
- Since this event does include alcohol, we will be checking IDs.
- Families welcome! We are offering discounted child's admission (under 18) for this event. This ticket does not include alcohol.
- While there is street parking near the courthouse, we encourage all to use public transportation. The Rockville Metro station is on the Red Line and located about 2.5 blocks from the courthouse. Please refer to WMATA's website for more information.
All ticket sales are final. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Matt Blitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.