Did you know there are over 500 species of bees in Los Angeles? We sure didn't!
Join Obscura Society LA, in partnership with the Center for the Arts Eagle Rock, for an evening of six-legged exploration.
This two-part evening will begin with a lecture from Biodiversity Science: City and Nature (BioSCAN), the Natural History Museum’s research project exploring the insect biodiversity of Los Angeles. Entomologist Lisa Gonzalez will share recent discoveries of BioSCAN and introduce you to some of LA’s tiny charismatic creatures.
Part two will bring you up close and personal with a few local bugs in a hands-on insect pinning workshop lead by Suzanne Berhow. Also known as "Mortemer," Suzanne is a Youtube personality known for her roles on the Youtube channels "Mortem3r" and "Game Grumps" as well as the show she co-hosts, "Table Flip". She is a highly active member of the taxidermy world and known for her pinned insects.
By the end of the evening, attendees will have gained:
- Skills and techniques to mount insects through a hands-on workshop, mounting two or three insects (At least one will be a butterfly!)
- New appreciation for insects, their diversity, and role in our community.
- Tips and tricks to support native insects.
This workshop will take place at the historic Carnegie-designed Eagle Rock Branch Library, inhabited by our partner for this event, the Center of the Arts Eagle Rock. Built nearly a century ago in 1915, this space is beautiful, open, and a great representative of the Mission Revival Style architecture found across Los Angeles. It was included on the National Register for Historic Places in 1987.
For the past 16 years, the Center of the Arts Eagle Rock has generated innovative arts programming in Northeast Los Angeles. Their mission is to be innovative in providing multidisciplinary, arts-inclusive programming to the diverse communities of northeast Los Angeles and beyond.
Notes for this adventure:
- Everyone will leave with at least two of their very own mounted insects!
- This is quite hands-on, so please be comfortable with handling specimens.
- The space is historic and 99 years old, so we ask attendees to be respectful.
- Street and meter parking are available.
- Wine & beer will be available for a small donation.