Join Cartwheel Art Tours and Field Agent Erin Johnson as we explore the vibrant murals of Animal Alley and the history of street art and graffiti in Echo Park at The Belmont Tunnel and The Belmont Art Space.
Three months ago, international and local artists gathered in an alley behind the Bob Baker Marionette Theater to paint colorful animals of all shapes and sizes. Join us as we trek through Animal Alley with curator and Alley Project founder, Jason Ostro. We'll meet several of the artists, learn more about the history of the project, and discover how it's transformed the community in Echo Park. Recent press from LA Times and CBS News.
Our next stop will be the legendary Belmont Tunnel, recognized by the LA Times as the 1980s "epicenter of West Coast graffiti." Built in the 1920s, the Belmont Tunnel (a.k.a. Hollywood Subway) transported people between downtown and Westlake for thirty years, until officially shutting down in 1955. Today, it's been incorporated into a private park for residents of the Belmont Station Apartments. During our tour, historian and author of Graffiti LA, Steve Grody, will recount the complex history of the tunnel as well as its transformation from Hollywood Subway to graffiti Mecca. We'll end our tour at the Belmont Art Space.
JUST ADDED: PEEK INSIDE THE BELMONT TUNNEL! We're thrilled to announce that Belmont Station Apartments has graciously given us permission to open the tunnel door and flood light into the darkness. You will be allowed to view and photograph the tunnel from the door, but due to liability reasons, cannot go inside.
Notes for this adventure:
- Exact meet-up location will be emailed to ticket holders.
- This is a two mile walking tour. Please dress for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Ages 12 and up. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Rain or shine! This tour will run as scheduled unless we're expecting dangerous weather in which case we will cancel via email. Tickets will be refunded or transferred to a rescheduled date, depending on your availability.
- High heels, sandals, and flip flops are not recommended due to broken glass and mud in the alley and tunnel.
- Our return time is estimated and subject to change.
- A portion of the proceeds will go to Cartwheel Art and the artists.
- Photography is encouraged! Tag #atlasobscura #cartwheelarttours #animalalley
- A signed liability waiver is required from all attendees
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final.