Eleven walls, two alleys, and nine roll downs have recently been painted by street artists for a project called Smile South Central.
Join the Obscura Society LA and Cartwheel Art Tours as we discover the murals of South Central and learn how the Smile South Central Project is transforming the community. During the tour, we'll meet local resident and project founder, Adam Ayala. Sharing the history of the project, he'll recount his interactions with neighborhood gangs and tell residents' stories of inspiration and empowerment. The success of Smile South Central is the result of Adam’s vision, the generosity of the artists who have been donating their time, and the participation of local businesses and concerned residents who have welcomed the project and donated their private walls.
Artists who have painted murals for Smile South Central include Dourone, Angelina Christina, Annie Preece, Jules Muck (aka Muckrock), Septerhed, Jennifer Korsen, tee vee art, Alan Carvalho (aka Johnny Brushstrokes and Squeeze Art member), Jason Ostro, Clinton Bobb, Moncho 1929, Andrea La Hue (aka Random Act), Phobikgod, Zia_La, Leba, Murdock1, Thrashbird, Ralph Ziman (aka Afrika 47), Wolfmate, Ihad, Angel, Gregory Siff, Johnny Tarajosu, ShadowMonsterBear, and others.
Adam Ayala: Founder of Smile South Central.
Paradox: Member of the W.A.I. Crew and a Los Angeles native, Paradox has been part of the LA graffiti scene since 1999. His objective is to awaken the masses through art by raising their consciousness. For our group, he will describe his work along with that of his other crew members including well known artists Craola and 2shae who have painted in the alley.
Steve Grody: Historian and author of Graffiti LA, featured photographer in the MOCA “Art in the Streets” exhibition, and co-curator of the exhibition “Street Cred: Graffiti Art from concrete to Canvas” at the Pasadena Museum of California Art. Steve will share the history of street art in LA and details of graffiti lettering/styles.
Notes for this adventure:
- Meet at the northwest corner of Western and 48th: 4729 S. Western Ave, Los Angeles, CA, 90062
- This is a two mile walking tour. Please dress for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Ages 12 and up. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Rain or shine! This tour will run as scheduled unless we're expecting dangerous weather in which case we will cancel via email. Tickets will be refunded or transferred to a rescheduled date, depending on your availability.
- Street parking is available, please read signs carefully and park at your own discretion.
- A portion of the proceeds will go to Cartwheel Art and the artists.
- Photography is encouraged! Tag #atlasobscura #cartwheelarttours #smilesouthcentral
- A signed liability waiver is required from all attendees
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final.