Many of us are familiar with the rugged natural beauty of the Palos Verdes coastline. What most people are unaware of are the mineral deposits of dolomite and barite which can be legally collected from certain areas.
Join the Obscura Society LA and Field Agent Robert Hemedes on guided mineral collecting field trip led by Justin Zzyzx. Justin is a prominent figure in the gem and mineral community for his notable work exposing fakes and forgeries in the mineral industry. Justin was the owner of the now closed, but fondly remembered, Zzyzx Gallery of Natural Science located in Downtown Los Angeles and now runs the website FortySevenPress.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the LA Obscura Society newsletter and be the first to find out about upcoming events.
Notes for this adventure:
- Attendees must bring their own hammer, protective eye wear (e.g. goggles), packing tissue, head protection (e.g. helmet), a rag or towel, sunscreen, lunch, and water.
- Access to the beach requires a moderately difficult hike. Be prepared for steep terrain.
- Please wear jeans and sturdy, closed-toed shoes with firm gripping. High heels, sandals, and flip flops are not allowed.
- Directions for the exact meeting spot will be emailed to participants the week of the tour.
- We will be collecting from two mineral sites. Directions will be provided to caravan from site A to site B.
- Photography and video are encouraged!
- A liability waiver is required for this event.
Advance ticket sales only. All sales are final.