The San Gabriel Mountains are the most visible landmark in LA County and a treasured escape for Angelenos.
Recently designated a National Monument, this vast wilderness at the edge of the city is filled with fascinating hidden wonders including moon rocks, an abandoned gold mine, historic telescopes, ruins of LA's "Great Hiking Era," and RUBIES! One particularly rich area of deposits lies just an hour's drive from LA in a small canyon that has experienced several landslides, creating a field of rocks with ruby crystals inside which can be legally collected.
Join the Obscura Society LA and Field Agent Robert Hemedes on guided field trip led by Justin Zzyzx to collect corundum rubies. Justin is a prominent figure in the gem and mineral community for his notable work exposing fakes and forgeries in the mineral industry. Justin was the owner of the now closed, but fondly remembered, Zzyzx Gallery of Natural Science located in Downtown Los Angeles and now runs the website FortySevenPress.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the LA Obscura Society newsletter and be the first to find out about upcoming events.
Notes for this adventure:
- Attendees must bring their own hammer, protective eye wear (e.g. goggles), a backpack, sunscreen, insect spray repellent, snacks, and water.
- ADVENTURE PASS REQUIRED: An Adventure Pass is required for each vehicle and must be purchased prior to the event. Click here for a list of vendors, we recommend purchasing at Big 5 (Daily Pass is $5 and Annual Pass is $30).
- Access to the quarry requires a moderate to difficult 2 mile hike round trip. Be prepared for steep terrain and crossing streams. Walking sticks recommended.
- Please wear jeans and sturdy, closed-toed shoes with firm gripping. High heels, sandals, and flip flops are not allowed.
- Directions for the exact meeting spot will be emailed to participants the week of the tour.
- This event is weather dependent. If we are expecting significant rain on this date, we will cancel the event via email. Tickets will be refunded or transferred to a rescheduled date, depending on your availability.
- This event is family friendly, but recommended for children ages 7+
- Photography and video are encouraged!
- A liability waiver is required for this event.
Advance ticket sales only. All sales are final.