Join Obscura Society LA and Field Agent Robert Hemedes for a day of adventure in Ventura County exploring the Associates Insectary and the Western Foundation of Vertebrate Zoology!
10:00 am - 12 pm Inside the Insectary
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm Lunch (not included in ticket price)
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm The Bird Museum
Inside the Insectary: An up close encounter with beneficial bugs at the oldest commercial insectary in the United States. A pioneer in sustainable pest management, the Associates Insectary was founded in 1928, and provides services to farms and vineyards to control nuisance bugs. Learn about the bug growing business and meet the unsung heros of the agriculture industry including, Rumina decollata (a predacious snail that feeds on its own cousin), Anagyrus pseudococci (a parasite who battles vine mealybug), and Neoseiulus californicus (a good mite that eats the young of bad mites).
The Bird Museum: A tour of the Western Foundation of Vertebrate Zoology (WFVZ), a vast ornithological collection and research and education institution located in Camarillo, CA. Learn about bird biology, biodiversity, and ecology, as well as fun facts about the birds of the world.
Notes for this adventure:
- This event takes place on a weekday (Friday).
- Santa Paula is located about 65 miles from Los Angeles. Please allow at least 90 minutes (or more) to drive from LA to the tour location.
- The facility is not paved and ground between the buildings is sand and gravel. Please wear closed-toed shoes.
- There are no public restrooms, although one is available in the business office if absolutely necessary.
- Photography is acceptable in most areas, if there are any doubts just ask.
- Street parking is available outside the fenced property . Enter through the first gate which is closest to 13th Street. Do not leave any valuables visible in your vehicle.
- Please expect unusual smells and insects flying and crawling around or near you while on the tour.
All sales are final.