Join the Los Angeles Obscura Society and Field Agent Sandi Hemmerlein on a morning walk among hawks to learn about falconry, raptor biology, and conservation.
Back by popular demand! It's one of the world's oldest hunting traditions, and no previous experience is required!
Professional instructors will guide you through a hands-on lesson in which you'll learn to hold a Harris's Hawk, cast it from your glove, and call it back again—all in the raptors' natural habitat.
There are two types of tickets for this event:
- Student: $160 (90-minute lesson)
- Spectator: $90 (watch, take photographs, but no direct interaction with hawks. Tickets are limited to keep the event as intimate as possible for those enrolled in the falconry course.)
EXTREMELY LIMITED CAPACITY
Notes for this adventure:
- Please note that this event takes place the morning of Mother's Day—so bring your mom!
- Event may be rescheduled in case of severe weather
- This event takes place in San Diego County, over 150 miles from DTLA (at least 2.5 hours from LA). Please plan travel time accordingly. The exact meeting location will be emailed out to confirmed attendees a couple of days before the event.
- This event is family friendly, ages 10+ (all minors must be accompanied by an adult)
- Not wheelchair accessible. There's some walking on uneven terrain with some elevation change, so if you have any fitness level or health concerns, ask before purchasing your ticket. (No refunds.)
- This event takes place two miles down a rugged dirt road. A standard vehicle is fine, but low clearance vehicles are not recommended.
- Please wear sturdy, closed-toed shoes with firm gripping. High heels, sandals, and flip flops are not allowed.
- Weather can be extremely variable so wear layers and sun protection in case it goes either way.
- Photography and video are encouraged!
- A signed liability waiver is required for all confirmed attendees.
Advance ticket sales only. All sales are final.