On Halloween night, 1936, the most prized invitation in Hollywood was to witness the last attempt to contact Harry Houdini through the spirit world.
Hosted by Bess Houdini, the séance was part of a carefully devised plan that Houdini insisted upon before his mysterious death on Halloween in 1926. Each year for ten consecutive years, his beloved wife Bess performed a séance on top of the Knickerbocker Hotel in Hollywood in attempt to contact him on the night of his death.
Quite possibly the most famous person in the western world at the time, Houdini was a master showman who made the impossible seem possible. He also had a rather complicated relationship with the spirit world, first believing in it and, then, making it his life's work to debunk spiritualists and their "phony" séances.
The tantalizing source for our reconstruction is an extant recording of the last 15 minutes of the event performed 78 years ago.
On Halloween night, we will not only recreate the experience of the attempt to contact the spirit world that so fascinated Houdini, his wife Bess, and the colorful cast of characters they associated with; but we will also explore what may have really happened that fateful night after the tape went silent.
Please join the Obscura Society LA and The Alchemy as we immerse ourselves in a beautiful, Old Hollywood setting, where the household staff will serve you drinks and hors d'oeuvres as we all experience a mysterious and unforgettable All Hallows' Eve.
Schedule for the evening:
Part 1: Arrival and cocktails
Part 2: Historical Background
Part 3: The Séance
ONLY 40 SEATS AVAILABLE FOR EACH SHOWING - TICKETS ARE VERY LIMITED!
Notes for this adventure:
- There will be two performances, 6 pm to 8:30 pm and 9:30 pm to midnight. Please note which one you acquired tickets to and exit promptly at 8:30 (for the first performance) and midnight (for the second performance).
- There are 40 seats per performance. Advanced tickets are required!
- We will send out the exact address of the mysterious Hollywood abode to attendees several days before the event.
- Enjoy your Halloween! Feel free to come dressed as if you are in 1936 Hollywood!
- Historical libations and hors d’oeuvres are included in admission.
- As the colorful neighbors of the evocative site in the Hollywood Hills value their privacy and we want to minimize commotion on the street, we encourage you to carpool or ride-share to the location.
For your convenience, here are codes one can use as first-time riders:
Uber: 2mba9 - first ride free!
Lyft: OBSCURA- $20 credit for first ride!
- All sales are final.