Join Curbed and KCET’s Hadley Meares as she leads us to the ruins of the shadowy Murphy Ranch.
Help unravel the mystery of this 1930’s-era self-sustaining commune as we tour the property, visiting among other structures the barn, water tank, garage, and never ending stone steps still visible today. View long lost blueprints recently discovered deep in the archives of UCLA that prove the owners of Murphy Ranch were attempting to build some kind of palace, built perhaps for an earthly ruler-or a heavenly one. Try to separate what we know from what we don’t as we walk this beautiful, haunting property whose rumored history has fascinated Angelino’s for a generation.
Notes for this adventure:
- Murphy Ranch is located in a remote canyon in the Santa Monica Mountains with no services and no cell phone service.
- We will email out exact meeting location to all attendees closer to the event date.
- Street parking is available, but limited and in a residential area. Please be respectful of the neighbors, and carpool if possible.
- We will be hiking about 3.5 miles round trip at a moderate pace. Please plan accordingly with water, snacks, and proper shoes.
- This is a reverse hike, meaning we will descend into the canyon first and then climb out of it when we exit. Please reserve your energy for the uphill climb at the end!
- There are a couple of different route options, but this hike will require a significant amount of stair-climbing, as well as paved and dirt trails.
- Be prepared for heat! Please bring water and sun protection (sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, etc.).
- Dog-friendly! Just be sure your pup can climb up and down stairs, as well as bring proper clean-up equipment.
- For more information, check out Field Agent Sandi Hemmerlein's article Hiking the Disturbing Remains of a California Hideout for Hitler