Join field agent Sandi Hemmerlein & the Obscura Society LA as we delve into the world of hazardous waste – including common household items that contain environmentally dangerous levels of heavy metals and mercury – at the Burbank Recycle Center.
From household electronics and batteries to fluorescent lights and even eyeglasses, we'll learn where the trash goes, and we'll even take away a recycled souvenir!
The current Recycle Center opened in October 1992 and houses a Materials Recovery Facility, Buyback/Drop off Center, Used Oil Center, Compost Corner, and Learning Center.
On our tour, we'll view their worm and compost bins and many exhibits, one of which demonstrates what happens when pollutants are washed down storm drains.
Even if you're not a Burbank resident, you can bring your used motor oil, oil filters and rags, and antifreeze and see what happens to them after drop-off. The Recycle Center collects a swimming pool's worth of motor oil every year!
Notes for this adventure:
- The tour will begin promptly at 10:30 am.
- Our tour will include a Q&A session, so bring your curiosity and lots of questions!
- At least half of our tour will be outside, so please wear sun protection (sunglasses, hat, sunscreen) and be mindful of hot summer temperatures.
- This tour is kid & family friendly, but please no kids under ten.
- Closed toed shoes recommended.
- Plenty of parking in the free lot or on the street – or take the train to the Downtown Burbank Metrolink station, a 10 minute walk.