The Magic Castle began its life in 1909 as a private home, and opened its doors as a Mecca for Magicians in 1963.
Do you believe in magic? How about ghosts?
Maybe a visit to a real haunted Victorian mansion with a ghost who plays piano (and takes requests) will convince you that both really do exist. Or the fact that the only area untouched by a Halloween 2011 fire was the Harry Houdini Seance Room, which is filled with his priceless memorabilia (like the only set of handcuffs he was unable to open).
The secrets of the Academy of Magical Arts – the magicians' club housed in the mansion – are guarded so tightly that only its members and their invited guests are allowed entry. And anyone who passes through the hidden passageway in the Owl Bookcase is sworn to secrecy and forbidden from photographing what they encounter. Now you have the very rare chance to be amazed and enchanted at The Magic Castle with Field Agent Sandi Hemmerlein in a visit arranged specially for the Los Angeles Obscura Society.
We will be taken on a private, intimate tour of the Castle, after which we are welcome to stay and experience some of Hollywood's most bizarre nightlife – featuring a Victorian-style dinner, five bars, and magic shows in The Close-up Gallery, The Parlour of Prestidigitation, and The Palace of Mystery.
Prepare yourself for the grand illusion, presented by the masters of deception!
Stay connected! Subscribe to the LA Obscura Society newsletter and be the first to find out about upcoming events.
Notes for this adventure:
- Please note that this event occurs on a weeknight, specifically on a Monday night.
- Age 21 and over only. No one will be admitted without photo ID.
- Photography is prohibited. No cameras allowed.
- Dress code is strictly enforced. They are serious about this. Anyone not adhering to the dress code will not be admitted. Men must wear coats and ties with their shirts tucked in. Women are encouraged to wear dresses and heels or dressy flats, no sandals. Ascots and bolo ties are welcome. Leggings, denim, and flip flops are not.
- You may stay after our tour to attend shows and dine, but dinner reservations are required and must be made by calling at least one week in advance. Cost of food and beverages are not included in the ticket price. There is no additional charge for magic.
- Performance line-up is subject to change without notice.
- Valet parking available for an additional fee, or Go Metro! The Magic Castle is walking distance from the Metro Red Line Hollywood & Highland station.
Advance Ticket Sales Only. No Refunds.