No matter how sunny and warm Southern California can be, our weather monitoring entails a lot more than just temperature, precipitation, and cloud cover.
Join Field Agent Sandi Hemmerlein as we tour the National Weather Service in Oxnard, CA – where meteorologists and high-tech machines come together to inform the public about temperature highs and lows, sea conditions, surface winds, air quality, and hydrologic phenomena.
Servicing the area between Santa Barbara and San Diego counties, the NWS Los Angeles / Oxnard facility helps protect lives (and property!) by issuing warnings about storms, rip currents, fire hazards, and flash flooding. During our visit, we'll view a presentation on severe weather, witness their workstation in operation, and stroll through their one-of-a-kind Global Monitoring Exhibit, created in partnership with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association.
We'll also get up close and personal with snow telemetry, doppler radar, drought monitoring, climatology, and barometric pressure, and learn how to prepare for anything from a tsunami to those hot Santa Ana winds. We may even get to see some satellite readings and experimental graphical forecasts.
Bonus Round: After our tour of the National Weather Service, we'll head over to Heritage Square for a docent-led tour of Oxnard's most historic turn of the century structures, and a casual BYO brown bag picnic lunch in a scenic setting.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the LA Obscura Society newsletter and be the first to find out about upcoming events.
Notes for this Adventure:
- The NWS reserves the right to cancel or abbreviate the tour in case of bad weather, so they can perform necessary life-saving duties.
- Please note that this event takes place on a weekday, specifically on a Monday.
- Oxnard is located in Ventura County, 60 miles west of Downtown Los Angeles – please depart early enough to account for travel time and morning traffic.
- Family friendly! But please no children under 8 (and no touching).
- Free parking in the lot in front of the building.
- Cost of lunch not included in ticket price.
Advance Ticket Sales Only. All Sales Final.