Join the Obscura Society LA and Field Agent Robert Hemedes on a guided tour of Drew Lobenstein's private pigeon collection. Drew is a well known pigeon geneticist in his field of expertise.
Frillbacks, Fantails, Trumpeters, Pigmy Pouters, Ice Pigeons, and Danzig Highflyers are all descendants of Columba livia domestica, the domestic pigeon. These exhibition breeds, referred to as fancy pigeons, are bred for specific traits related to their appearance and behavior. Some look like fashion models in feathered coats. Others have oversized breasts that would make a turkey jealous.
During our tour, Drew will share the history of fancy pigeon breeding and introduce us to his flock of over 1,000 birds. Drew is a member of the LA Pigeon Club. Founded in 1911, it is one of the oldest clubs in Southern California.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the LA Obscura Society newsletter and be the first to find out about upcoming events.
Notes for this adventure:
- This event is family friendly, ages 10+
- We will be touring a private home in Reseda. The exact address will be emailed to attendees a few days before the tour.
- During the tour, we will be encountering feathers and fine dust. If this is a concern for you, please bring a fine particulate filter mask to wear during the tour.
- Please wear closed-toed shoes. High heels, sandals, and flip flops are not allowed.
- Photography and video are allowed. We encourage you to share your photos and videos on the LA Pigeon Club's website: http://www.losangelespigeonclub.com/
- The pigeons featured in the event write-up might not reflect the fancy breeds you will encounter during this event. Rest assured, there will be over 1,000 pigeons in the coops we will visit.
- A signed and dated liability waiver is required from all attendees. The waiver will be provided and collected at the start of the tour.
All sales are final.